Start your ACAF Path Today
- Course Charts
- Preparatory Courses for ACAF
- ACAF Applied Courses Calendar & Fees
- 2017 Examination Schedule for the ACAF Program Courses
Program update: Effective for courses starting after September 1, 2016, ACAF prerequisites will change. The ACAF entry courses are now Introductory Financial Accounting, Introductory Management Accounting, Intermediate Financial Reporting I, Intermediate Financial Reporting II and Business Law. In addition to these courses, 30 credit hours of post-secondary study (equivalent to one year full-time study) at a post-secondary institution or three years practical experience are required. Transcripts will be assessed according to the new entrance requirements immediately.
Effective August 1, 2016, official transcripts will be required for ACAF assessments.
To complete a transcript assessment, follow the steps below and then submit your transcript.
Step One: Visit the ACAF Online Portal
To begin your application:
- Visit https://portal.cpaontario.ca
- Select “Create an Account” (or if you already have a login, please follow the instructions on the page)
- Fill in the required data
- After your account is created, you will receive an email containing your ID number which you will require to log in
Step Two: Submit your transcript assessment
To submit your ACAF transcript assessment for evaluation, select “Transcript Assessment” in the left navigation of your online account on portal.cpaontario.ca.
Record the courses you have taken that qualify for exemptions and would like to request a transcript assessment for:
- Select “Start Transcript Assessment Application.”
- If you were a CGA Student in good standing, the system will recognize the transfer credits that you have received or courses you have completed with CGA Ontario.
- Fill in “education” information.
- Enter the courses you completed in your post-secondary program that qualify for exemption, including the date you completed these courses and the corresponding grade.
- Select “Next” which will present you with your preliminary results.
- Complete the payment. The Transcript Assessment Fee is $150 +HST.
- After submitting your request for a transcript assessment, you will receive an email confirming that your transcript assessment has been received and detailing next steps on supporting documentation required to complete the application (please also see below for required documentation, all documentation should be sent to ACAFassessments@cpaontario.ca or to the address identified below)
- After the CPA Ontario assessors receive your supporting documentation and when your assessment is complete, you will receive an email confirming your assessment results within 10 business days.
Please reach out to your post-secondary institution to obtain an official transcript. You will not be allowed to register in any courses unless your official transcript has been received.
Step Three: CPA Ontario will complete an assessment of your application and advise you of next steps.
CPA Ontario ACAF Approved Course Charts:
For a complete listing of pre-approved CPA Ontario ACAF courses, please see your college below.
Please note that effective September 1, 2016, the prerequisites for ACAF have changed. The ACAF entry courses are now Introductory Financial Accounting, Introductory Management Accounting, Intermediate Financial Reporting I, Intermediate Financial Reporting II and Business Law. The minimum entrance requirement for ACAF is 30 credit hours of post-secondary study (equivalent to one year full-time study) at a post-secondary institution or three years relevant practical experience.
Microeconomics & Macroeconomics, Statistics and Business Communications are no longer required. The overall 65% average across all entry prerequisites is also no longer required. The course charts below will be updated shortly.
George Brown College
La Cité College
McMaster University - Centre for Continuing Education
St. Clair College
St. Lawrence College
University of Toronto - School of Continuing Studies
Acceptable Proof of Transcript Documentation Includes:
- An official transcript showing the name of the program
- A course-by-course credential evaluation carried out by World Education Services
(WES) through their International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) for those who have studied internationally and cannot secure an official transcript
CPA Ontario requires submission of supplementary documentation, including transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions (PSI) for Advanced Placement credits, General Certificate of Education credits, International Baccalaureate credits, college transfer credits, foreign exchange transfer credits, letter of permission courses and other PSI transfer credits. For any transfer credits, a transfer credit letter will be required.
How to Submit Official Transcripts:
There are a number of ways to submit your transcript:
- In a sealed envelope mailed directly from the post-secondary institution you attended
- In-person in a sealed post-secondary institution envelope
In all cases, an official transcript must be an original transcript issued by the post-secondary institution’s Registrar’s Office. All official transcripts should be mailed to:
Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
69 Bloor Street East
Toronto ON M4W 1B3
Attention: Transcript Assessment Team