CPA Program Prerequisites
Schedule and Fees
Program update: Effective for courses beginning after September 1, 2016 the CPA Prerequisite Education Program (CPA PREP) will be re-named to preparatory courses. The admission criteria will change so a degree is no longer required; however a 4-year undergraduate degree is still required for entry to the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP). The entry requirement for preparatory courses will be 30 credit hours of post-secondary study (equivalent to one-year of full-time study) at a post-secondary institution or three years relevant work experience.
How to enrol in preparatory courses
To enrol in preparatory courses, you must have completed 30 credit hours of post-secondary study (equivalent to one-year of full-time study) at a post-secondary institution or three years relevant work experience.
Individuals who wish to enrol in the preparatory courses must have completed a transcript assessment.
The preparatory courses for the CPA program have not been assessed by the Public Accountants Council for the Province of Ontario (PAC) and, therefore, any individual registering in the preparatory courses is not eligible for a public accounting licence.
Prerequisites for Preparatory Courses for the CPA Program
- Introductory Financial Accounting and Introductory Financial Accounting are prerequisites for all preparatory courses except Economics, Statistics, Business Law and Information Technology
- Intermediate Financial Reporting I is a prerequisite for Intermediate Financial Reporting II
- Intermediate Financial Reporting II is a prerequisite for Advanced Financial Reporting
- Intermediate Financial Reporting I and II are prerequisites for Taxation as well as Audit and Assurance
- Corporate Finance is a prerequisite for Management Accounting
- Management Accounting is a prerequisite for Performance Management
Grade Requirements for Entry to PEP
Pass grades required for each preparatory course are located in the schedule above. Please note that, a 65% overall average is required for entry into CPA PEP. Until January 1, 2017, Standard 1 and 2 for calculating the 65% overall average apply and the standard that is most advantageous to the student will apply - for more information on the two standards see HEP Policy 1.1.
Note on Enrolment Timelines
Important: All post-secondary institution transcripts must be submitted at least 8 weeks prior to the registration close date for a transcript assessment. Once your transcript assessment has been performed, please allow up to 10 business days for processing of complete student registration applications. Applications not submitted within these timelines cannot be guaranteed enrolment. Official transcripts are recommended. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for assessment purposes only.
Note: Program, pricing and dates are subject to change at any time. All fees, regardless of purchaser's province or country of residence, are subject to Ontario's 13% HST.
Version date: May 30, 2016